A spectacular full dockyard model of the British ocean-going tug boat EMPRESS OF INDIA, built in 1898 in Greenock, Scotland. The Steel Single Screw Tug was constructed in exacting style directly after the style of American tugs of New York with their long working deck space and elevated cockpits above the steadily raised hull. Working tugs are extremely rare as dockyard models, and this is a premier example of such a large Tug Boat model.
Steeply rising, the wood bridge helm and cabin is accompanied by the Red and Black company funnel, a solitary lifeboat suspended over the skylights on internal davits. Polished silver fittings run throughout the model’s deck, and her paint has been polished to a glossy sheen. Her skylight and cabin windows are painted on, the planking is inked, while the porthole windows and lined with an opaque green film. The quality glazed hardwood case completes the model in protective fashion.
Built for Jeremy Constant of London, he used her in multiple endeavors until selling the tug in 1903 to Sir John Jackson Ltd., who put her into service in the expansion of the Devonport Dockyard. She sold again to Florence Tugboat and Salvage Co. in 1907, to the Tees Tug Co. Ltd in 1909, in 1913 to the Anglo Persian Oil Company who renamed the tug SIRDAR-I_NAPHTE. She returned to British owners in 1915, and was retired soon after.
first name :