A strong merchant freighter that put into service for J. & G. Harrison Ltd. Line of "H" merchant ships in 1945, she was the company's third ship so named. Five large holds with boom trucks dominate her deck space and interior hull, while three captain arrays are established for her officers and crew. The 10220-ton merchant ship had a length of 420'1" by a 56'6" beam and a depth of 27'. Built to the orders of Messrs. J. & C. Harrison by William Doxford & Sons Ltd., Sunderland, this premier yard made many of the United Kingdom's finest ships and models.
Fitted with a full complement of instruments and rigs, this bulk freighter is a quality dockyard model, representing not only the line, but the craft of the Doxford shipyard. She launched into service in 1945, after her namesake predecessor was sunk by German U-Boat 521 on Nov. 2, 1942 between Halifax and Belfast. Our HARTINGTON would not suffer such a fate, sailing on for the company until being sold in 1962 to Worldwide Shipping, renamed ABACO in 1963. She would end her run after a collision in Singapore, where she was scrapped.
The model has a nice portion of gold-plated fittings with a vast amount of deck showing the inked-in planking and window details. Traditional British colors are accented by the company's stark black-and-white funnel tones with the large "H".
Case dimensions: 65 inches long x 16 1/2 inches deep x 24 inches high.
first name :