An original White Star builders' dockyard model, exceedingly rare and highly desirable, the White Star Line ALBERTIC is a superior example of the level of craftsmanship, pride and importance the company put into their dockyard models. The attention to detail, scale and sheer impressive size all make this a special and historic artifact from the glamorous age of Transatlantic voyaging and consolidation of the Passenger Liner companies.
Built solid from the lower hull, the model is dressed in her full regalia, gold-plated fittings throughout. The large wood-framed glass case that holds the model on four elevated stanchions also has her original, dual ALBERTIC brass name plates, identifying her and her allegiance to the White Star. Three deck rise above her pale red to black-and-white paint, with portholes and ventilators covering the model extensively. Quite interesting to note the number of lifeboats in the post-Titanic era of the Liners, 18 on davits with 10 of those having another, collapsible boat stored beneath on deck. The main deck is partially exposed, but the passenger walks are enclosed up through the cabin structure. Another innovation are the increased number of dual hinged gangways and hatches on the hull, the primary ones having the accommodation ladders permanently attached.
The model was built in 1923 as the S.S. OHIO. The ship originated as the vessel S.S. MUNCHEN by the North German Lloyd line, launched on March 23, 1920 but never sailed. It was surrendered to the Royal Mail Steam Packet Co., transferred as part of the War Reparations Scheme concluding World War I. As the OHIO, she began her maiden voyage on April 4, 1923 from Hamburg to Southampton, on to Cherbourg and New York. She ran this route until Oct. 1926. When the Royal Mail Co. acquired all the holdings of White Star Line in 1927, OHIO transferred and became the ALBERTIC under that banner, back under true English ownership. Sailing her first voyage on April 22, 1927 she left Liverpool for Quebec and Montreal. Her destinations over the next three years would include these ports as well as New York, Southampton, Le Havre, London, and Boston. The company modernized the original model at that time, making it now and forevermore, the ALBERTIC.
Every contrivance was designed to immediate accessibility and function, so the officers and crew would have the means at hand to answer the growing demand of first-rate passage across the Atlantic. The Liner would be capable of booking 229 1st Class, 523 2nd Class, and 690 3rd Class passengers for a voyage. At 590'9" Length with a 72' Beam and a 37'7" Depth, she was a large ship yet capable of significant speed with 220 lbs. of pressure from her quadruple expansion engines. One of the very last passenger ships to wear the White Star Buff Funnel, just prior to the Cunard-White Star-British Government merger of 1934, she served until 1933, and was eventually sold and broken up in Osaka, Japan in 1934. This epic large dockyard model is what remains of the glorious liner.
first name :