Possessing fine quality detail throughout and silver and gold plated deck fixtures, this coastwise passenger liner of The London & Edinburgh Shipping Co. is an impressive artifact of an early 20TH Century passenger ship. Built in 1910 by The Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Dundee, Scotland, the ship served for more than 30 years, running primarily between her home port of Leith to London anchorages and Southampton.
This model is complete in every sense, with the model raised on four gold-plated columns to present her every profile. The extravagance and pride is shown in the fact that, as with all of the top dockyard models, the fittings are plated with precious metals, in this case mostly silver and gold. Some of the smallest details are drawn in, and the frame construction has solid board for decks with inked planks. The lifeboats are complete and painted inside and out, and the helm station is fully equipped.
This extremely accurate model shows the complete ship, from her hull shape to the various working machinery, including the five large geared hoists. The various levels of her decks split the classes of passengers and crews quarters along with the necessary cargo holds for a coastwise traveling ship. She was sunk by a mine in the Humber on June 10, 1941. This dockyard model is probably the only three dimensional representation ever built.
Mahogany Glazed Case with Ivorine Makers Plates
first name :