A fine builder's dockyard half hull model of the iron three masted sailing barque MARY JOSE. Built by Birrell Stenhouse & Co. of Dumbarton, England, she was completed in 1876 and launched on January 26th of the same year. Weighing in at 634 tons at a length of 177 feet, 29 ft. breadth and 17.5 ft depth, she was built as a cargo vessel.
She served her first owners, John Jose & Co of Perran-ar-Worthal, Cornwall for nearly twenty years before being sold to J.P. Calusen of Nordby, Denmark, where her name was changed to the Agda. In 1918, she was sold to Manuel G. Marron y Angulo of Havana, Cuba. A year later, she was came back to Europe under the ownership of Chemins de Fer de l'État Francais, Marseilles and was renamed GENEVRIER, until being decommissioned in 1926.
This model was constructed of lifts to aid in shaping the final ship's hull. The painted plaque on the lower right bears the name and location of her shipbuilders.
first name :