For over 75 years and across several generations, the Bardou family were leading manufacturers of small telescopes for education and recreation.
This example is in excellent working condition with original box and all lenses including those for terrestrial and celestial observation. The large mahogany tripod base has its original finish and working gear system to easily raise and lower the height of the scope. Large telescopes, in this condition and with a tripod of this quality and substantial make are rare.
Established in Paris in 1818 by D.F. Bardou as Maison Bardou, the firm passed to his son P.G. Bardou in the mid 1800's becoming Bardou et Fils (Bardou & Sons). Grandson Albert Bardou took over in the late 1800's, putting his own name A. Bardou on instruments from that period forward until the firm passed out of the family in 1895.
Bardou and Sons came to the United States in 1876, displaying their instruments at the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia. There they caught the eye of James W. Queen & Co., foremost merchants of scientific instruments in the U.S. at the time, who soon began importing Bardou telescopes for sale in the United States.
A telescope by Albert Bardou is in the collection of the Smithsonian Museum of American History.
Lens diameter: 3 1/4 Inches, Telescope Body 48 Inches, Overall with tube extended 62 Inches.
first name :