An extremely fine pair of cased dueling pistols, this set made by Durs Egg of London is covered over in artisanal touches and top quality workmanship.
The 54 caliber guns feature octagonal barrels with a rich Damascene finish and excellent original patination. The silver-plated lockplate is covered over in scrollwork with decorative edging which continues up to the hammers, the very top of which are engraved to look like leaping fish. Well grained rosewood stocks are capped at the butts in silver, with fine leaf and flourish engraving surrounded by braid motifs on the sides. Scrollwork continues up the trigger guard, finishing on the underside of the gun with a particularly detailed shell motif. Even the thin muzzle bears fine leaf engraving, and all the large screws on the guns are engraved with flowers.
Both guns are signed on the top of their barrels “D. Egg, 4 Pall Mall, London” and “D. Egg” on both lockplates. This is the work of one of the premier firearm makers of his age, Ursus Christian Egg, known as Durs Egg. Egg moved from his native Switzerland to set up his gun works in London in 1772, the hub of gun manufacture and innovation at the time. During his career he was a gun maker to British Royalty, including King George III, George IV and the Prince of Wales.
The guns, tools and accessories, including 10 lead balls, are set in their original green velvet-lined mahogany case with brass details including corners, escutcheon and latches. Concentric brass circles, one raised and the other inset, both with toothed-rim detail, adorn the top of the box. The inside of the box bears the original Durs Egg label.
Given the high level of embellishment and excellent condition of these pistols they were clearly made for a person of worth who valued them highly.
first name :