A fine quality solid silver presentation land hailer / speaking trumpet, with loops on reverse so a strap could be attached if desired.
The inscription reads:
"Presented to Capt. Hans Holdt, Commander of Danish Ship Pollux of Apenrade as a token of esteem and friendship by Schmidt & Balchen, New York, Nov'r 1845." Beneath this inscription is the Danish coat of arms used from 1819 to 1903. Below that is the name of the firm that either retailed or created the piece, "A.R. Thompson, 309 1/2 Broadway, New York".
The city of Apenrade lies in southeastern Jutland, Denmark, which is today known as Åbenrå, also spelled Aabenraa. Under the inscription is the coat of arms of Denmark; this version was known to have been used between 1819 to 1903.
Schmidt and Balchen were a shipping company based in New York. Some historic records show that their ships sailed cargoes between New York and northern Europe.
first name :