From Joe Vallejo's Personal Collection, this highly detailed half hull model depicts the Clyde-built paddlewheel steamer WAVERLEY. This is the first of three ships of this name built by Glasgow shipbuilders A & J Inglis, with the other two being built in 1899 and 1946. The name refers to the first novel by Scottish novelist and poet Sir Walter Scott, published in 1814.
The 1946 WAVERLEY from Inglis is the only remaining active seagoing passenger-carrying paddle steamer in the world. Though it was built over 80 years later, it has a similar two stack configuration and sleek bow lines to this earlier vessel.
The model is on its original backboard with the ship's name at the bow and on the paddle box. Joe purchased the model out of a Glasgow home over 40 years ago. In outstanding condition, the piece includes the original builders plaque which reads, Paddle Wheel Steamer WAVERLEY, built by A & J Inglis, Glasgow, 1865 for the North British Steam Packet Company. Length of Keel and forcrake 222 feet, Breadth Moulded 26 feet 6 inches, Depth Moulded 14 feet 3 inches, Tonnage B.M. 735 tons, Engines 280 H.P. Nominal.
WAVERLEY was an iron paddle steamer launched on Tuesday, 16 May 1865 with 2cyl oscillating steam engine with 280nhp. She was purpose built for the Dublin-Douglas-Silloth service for the North British Steam Packet Company. Later, in 1868, this ship was sold to the London and South Western Railway for Southampton/Channel Islands service. The ship was wrecked on 5 June 1873 in fog on Platte Boue Rock, Guernsey, with all passengers and crew rescued.
first name :