Built by William Brooks of Staplehurst, England in 1900, this 1/30 scale model is an excellent representation of the original pair of triple expansion engines of CITY OF PARIS. Launched in 1889 for the Inman line by Glasgow ship builders J& G Thomson, they built her engines as well as the mostly steel ship. Along with her sister, CITY OF NEW YORK, she was the first twin-screw express steamship.
This engine features brass bound mahogany cylinders of 1?, 2¼, and 3¾ inch bores with 2? Inch stroke. Innovations such as the worm and quadrant operated Stephenson's link reverse, valve chest transfer pipe and piston rod tail shaft guides signaled the arrival of technologic advances for the ship building industry, making possible the passenger liners of today.
CITY OF PARIS became the first ship to cross the Atlantic ocean in less than six days, earning the blue ribaund for the Inman Line in May of 1889, doing so with considerably less horsepower than her predecessors. They were the last Inman passenger liners built, and were sold to American interests in 1893. Renamed NEW YORK and PARIS, they became part of the American line fleet. CITY OF PARIS would be renamed yet again, as PHILADELPHIA, in 1900.
Case measures 24¼" height x 20¾" length x 14¾" depth
first name :